5/22/08

I Found the Way

I wrote this poem about 10 years ago. I cannot believe it has been that long! I was fifteen years old. To this day I still remember the night I wrote it. My mom and I were home, and it was shortly after my parents divorced. I sat down at the kitchen table and just started writing. When I was finished, I took it into my mom to show her. She was on the phone, and started crying. Oops! :) I later published it in the district poetry book my senior year of high school.

Throughout my adult years there have been times when I longed to be this faithful. This poem has truly been a compass for me, helping me always know where I wanted to be. When I wasn't there, I was able to recognize it. With everything I have been through this year, I truly feel like my faith has been strengthened. I feel like I am this person now, moreso than ever before.

I Found the Way

There I was
In my home above
With my loving Father
As pure as a dove

He was sending me off
Into the world to learn
He said, "You are my daughter,
May you know which way to turn"

I was born
On a sunny afternoon
I came into this world
A little too soon

In the fall
A September month
I came to a family
Ready to love

They told me as I grew
There are things I'd never do
I'd never walk or ride a bike,
I'd never tie my shoe

As I got older
I proved them wrong,
Because I grew
So spiritually strong

I learned of my Father up above
And His endless love,
I learned He held me in His arms
And they protect me from all harm

He could move a mountain
And even calm the sea,
He created the world I live in
He created You and Me

In this life
We all have things to do,
He'll be right here coaching
Helping us get through

I may not be able to ride a bike
Or maybe even run,
But there is a special path I hike
That leads me to the One

With my Father here to guide me
And faith that I'll return,
He has made the promise
I am never on my own

With my faith, will I come to Him someday?
Being His daughter can I say,
My Father, I love you,
I found my way!"
Melody Boast 1998

7 comments:

The Lakes said...

Still strong as I ever. Beautiful then, beautiful now. Thank you for the reminder. I love you more than you know.

Natalie said...

That is a beautiful poem.

Leslie said...

Lovely Poem - Lovely Girl!

kimsueellen said...

This is amazing and beautiful. You are an inspiration to so many.

Vintage Soul said...

Wow Melody, you are amazing. I finally figured out how to log back into this thing :) and I just read all of your most recent blogs. You truly inspire me. I'm glad that we are neighbors and friends :)

Melissa Zuber said...

I think you should call this inspiration corner or something. You are quite the booster upper! That is a great poem.

Jessi said...

Melody:

I haven't seen you for awhile, are you ok. Let me know if you need anything. You're great!