8/29/08

He is My Best Friend

Dictionary.com defines “friend”…

1. a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2. a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter.

I have been blessed with lots of friends in my life time. I have been blessed also, with a great talent in keeping in touch with friends over a long period of time, no matter the distance. Friends from elementary school, high school, youth conferences, internet, summer camps, old neighborhoods… the list goes on. Many of them I have not seen for a very long time, yet we remain close. Oft times, I come across the getting-to-know you question, “Who is your best friend?” and in response, I always think of five or six people (most of which I have not seen in quite a while).

Well today, someone else came to my mind.

I really wonder what it will be like when I get to the next life.

I cannot even imagine the reunion I will have with my Savior. If he is my best friend now, how close were we in the preexistence? If he is my best friend now, how glorious will that reunion be in the life after? Will we talk of how much we missed each other? Will we talk of memories from the past?

Will I say, “Remember when I was so frustrated with this, and then you came a long and made it all better?”

Will he say, “Melody, remember when you went through that? I wanted to do so much more for you, but I had to let you learn. And though it may not seem so, I never left your side. Now look how far you’ve come. It is so good to see you again!”


D&C 121:7-9

7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.

3 comments:

The Lakes said...

Beautiful post. Sister Woods and I were both crying.

We love you.

Give the girls a hug and kiss from us.

Vanessa said...

thank you for this post! I had a horrible, horrible day with Keilana and was so frustrated! I have to be reminded that it is for just a small moment in the larger scheme of things. On the guilty side--I didn't handle today very well, I got to angry and frustrated with her. She still is only 3 1/2 years old. *sigh* I wasn't blessed with my mother's patience who has the patience of job.

kimsueellen said...

Thank you for the reminder...what a beautiful post and beautiful words.