9/16/08

EXPERIENCE - Author Unknown

I learn as the years roll onward
And leave the past behind.
That much I have counted sorrow
But proves our God is kind.
That many a flower I longed for
Had a hidden thorn of pain,
and many a rugged bypath
Led to fields of ripened grain.

The clouds that cover the sunshine
They cannot banish the sun,
And the earth shines out the brighter
When the weary rain is done.
We must stand in the deepest shadow
To see the clearest light;
And often from wrong's own darkness
Comes the weary strength of right.

We must live through the weary winter
If we would value the spring.
And the woods must be cold and silent
Before the robins sing.
The flowers must be buried in darkness
Before they can bud and bloom,
And the sweetest and warmest sunshine
Comes after the storm and gloom.

So the heart from the hardest trial gains
The purest joy of all.
And from the lips that have tasted sadness
The sweetest songs will fall,
For as peace comes after suffering,
And love is reward of pain.
So after earth comes heaven,
And out of our loss is gain.


This has been my favorite poem since I first came across it as a kid for an English project. I found it in a poem book my mom had in her collection, needless to say, she never got it back! I used the book so often, that it was pointless to give it to her, and just ask for it back again. Now watch, she's going to read this, and not even know what I am talking about anyway. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade.

Little did I know then, how much it would come to ring true of my life now.

Being a birthmom, who has placed a child for adoption, I cannot tell you how much it means to me to know that my little boy is turning out just as, if not better, than I had hoped. Tyler is 6 months old now. Time sure goes by fast.

Okay, forgive me, but it IS football season... Life kind of reminds me of a football game. You have the coach, and the playbook, and you are trying to get past the line of scrimmage to score a touch down. But, with the defensive line of the other team against you, and refs calling out penalties, you keep losing yards. You have to start the process over again to get to the goal line. At least, that seems to be my life. Bad calls, 15 yard penalties right when it seems you had it in the bag, and having to start over again. In the end, sooner or later, you score, maybe a few times, but then the game is over anyway.

At least I know with this trial that I faced, and the decision I made, I know I scored a touchdown.

See, even according to this 6 month old, I've done well.

Though, this has been a hard year, and I seem to be struggling right now, it really is just making me stronger, and preparing me for what is to come. I have much to be grateful for. With all the horror and pain of this year, there is no doubt it has been the best year of my life. My faith has been strengthened, and my resolve renewed. I know I am not alone, and that I have somewhere I want to be. I feel like I am a completely different person, with a completely different perspective than the one I had not too long ago.

In Institute yesterday, we were studying the life of Gene R. Cook. The following quote is his life motto, and it really struck a deep cord with me.

"There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul." (Ella Wheeler Wilcox)

So the heart from the hardest trial gains
The purest joy of all.
And from the lips that have tasted sadness
The sweetest songs will fall,
For as peace comes after suffering,
And love is reward of pain.
So after earth comes heaven,
And out of our loss is gain.

5 comments:

The Lakes said...

Wow, Tyler sure is growing big. We love you and hope this week is a great week for you and the girls.

Sabrina O'Malley said...

Happy belated birthday! It sounds like you had a great time. And yes, you get a touchdown, plus a few more!

Leslie said...

He is so cute and chubby! You've had an amazing year...and there are still 3 more months left! Here's to an awesome next 3 months!

UtahMan said...

Good stuff Mel. :)

Cass said...

You are my QB!!! I love you!