9/6/08

Turning 26

Tuesday, I spent the day making cupcakes and hanging out with a friend of mine. I also got a call from Cass that afternoon, inviting/demanding me to be a sub at bunko that night. I told her I didn't have a babysitter, she told me not to worry about it, that she could find one. A little while later I got a call from my friend Melinda, inviting the girls to come watch Sidney's soccer game at the school. I said that would be great and I explained that I had to be somewhere at 6:30pm. She said that was fine and offered to have the girls come to her house for that, and that her oldest daughter would bring them back at bed time and put them to bed. That was great, and I called my sister and told her Melinda would watch them.

At 6:35pm, Mark shows up at my door, saying he was there to pick me up because Cass was running late. Go figure, she is always late. So Mark takes me back to their house, but parks in the driveway instead of the garage, which I thought was weird. He was having me go in the front door. I NEVER go in the front door.

So I asked Mark, "Why aren't we going in the garage?"

After about 10 seconds (he was behind me, I couldn't see his face) he says, because there are less stairs."

Baffled, I said, "Well there is a banister for me to hold on to in the garage."

He just said, "I'll help you."

At this point, I had guessed there was something going on and thought, okay Cassandra Jeanne, what are you planning now?

We get inside and her house is spotless. And no one is there. I was totally expecting a bunch of people to yell out surprise. So I figured, ok I guess nothing is up... So, I sat down on the couch and waited for Cass to finish getting ready to go. Of course, I hadn't seen her yet. She comes out, and says, " Hey Mel. How was your day?"

Okay, why is she just standing here talking to me, if we are running late and suppose to be leaving? Confused, I answered her question, "My cupcakes were too big."

Then of course, right after I said that, I was half startled out of my chair by a yell of "Surprise!!" from the kitchen.

Cass had planned it all, and my neighbors were there. Neighbors I had just seen outside when the girls left for the soccer game. We ate pizza, and then Melinda comes in. Apparently, she had been in on the whole thing too! What the heck! We had a fun girls night, we played games, ate food, cake, ice cream and more games. We laughed a lot, and cried from laughing, and it was a great girls night out!

Thanks Cass and everyone who came. Where's the picture we took? Despite turning 26, it was a great birthday and I felt so loved. I really needed it.

6 comments:

Amy White said...

Fun times. We will have to play games again.

Leslie said...

Cass is agood sister! Sounds like a fun surprise. Happy Birthday!

"Me" said...

What a fun surprise!!! Thanks for your comment a few days ago. Life is great! And in fact I was smiling that day. I hope you are smiling too!

The Ursenbach Family said...

Happy birthday! I think it is funny that you were thinking something was up and it took Mark a few seconds to keep up the secret. It is so hard to do surprise parties, I'm glad it worked! And good job Mark at keeping it up!
Julie

Cass said...

I have the slide show pics from your party on my blog...

It was fun...we should have girls nights all the time. I loved hanging out with your neighbors too - they are awesome!

kimsueellen said...

Happy birthday cute girl...sounds like it was a wonderful one. I love laughing till I cry...good times.