11/17/10

Blessings

I feel as though the last six weeks, since I posted last, my life has been richly edified.  In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I feel it is my duty to share these blessings with my readers, who ever you may be. It is hard to believe it has only been that long.

I would start off by saying that my husband is amazing, but I think I have elaborated on that enough for the time being.

Back in June, I had surgery.  They implanted what is called the baclofen pump in my abdomen.  I call it my puck, because it is about the size of a hockey puck.  My puck has a catheter that goes directly to the spinal cavity, at which it disperses a muscle relaxant directly to my spinal cavity, then to my muscles.  The reason for the puck is to relax my muscles and help eliminate my spasticity due to my cerebral palsy.

Since June, I have been going to rigorous physical therapy.  With the elimination of most of my increased tone, I am now able to move my leg muscles individually instead of firing them all at once.  My goal in PT has been to retrain my brain, and learn how to fire these muscles.  With a lot of work, I have made immaculate progress.  Though, most people may not see how much my body has changed from the outside, I can see the positive effects this has on my life and daily tasks.  My muscles are stronger, my body more flexible, my stamina is higher, and my gait is straighter. I feel rejuvenated, and young again.  Though I still have a long road ahead, I feel like I can conquer anything God may put in my path.

My second major blessing is that of anti-anxiety medication.  I am much less irritable and worrisome. I have found it easier to enjoy my family without being stuck on the little things.  My mood is stable, and life is easier to handle. It may be weird for some people that I share this on a public blog, but it is not something I am ashamed of.  I am proud of who I have become, even if it required help from science. It is the Lord that gave us the knowledge of all these medications.  If it is used properly, and it works, and I am okay about it, great!

I am grateful for my weight loss.  I have lost over 12 lbs since August.  I am feeling a lot better about myself.


And then there is Kolo...


Bryan and I have been playing with the idea of getting me a service dog for a few months now. After doing some research, I found out that the law doesn't require you to go through an agency to get a dog.  I have wanted a service animal for most of my life, but I always dismissed the idea because the service dog agencies, such as Canine Companions, have a 5 year waiting list for a dog match. We have the right to train our own dog ourselves.  When I learned this, we decided to contact the University's Disability Services office.  Because we live in campus housing, I needed special permission and approval in order to have a dog here.

I set up the initial interview and talked to the Director.  I was really nervous at first, but then decided, they really can't deny me.  My disability is obviously there, and the things a service animal can help me with are undeniable also. He said approval would take 1-2 weeks.  I got my approval 3 days later.

It was November 1st when I got the okay.  I called Bryan immediately and let him know.  Then I went to the local online classifieds to start searching for the perfect dog, with the right price range.  Bryan's dad being a vet, he recommend the golden retriever as the most docile temperament. I knew I had to be picky, I couldn't just get the first cute dog I saw.  It had to be one eager and aware, ready to learn, and calm too. I saw an ad online for two black lab muts. Females.  I wanted a female dog. Bryan liked the one on the left with lab style ears, and I liked the one on the right, with golden retriever style ears(such a little thing, I know) I set up an appointment to go meet these two sister dogs that evening.  We went, very sure we were being picky.  The lady introduced us to both of them, and they were adorable. They were six month old black lab muts. I wanted a lab so bad. They were 50% purebred Golden Retriever, and 25%/25% Black Lab and Collie. Well we loved both, but couldn't have both, and didn't know how to pick.  I explained to the lady our plans for the dog, to train her as a service dog, and she recommended the one with shaggy ears, saying that she was the calmer of the two and she would be perfect for that. So we took the first dog we saw, free of charge, kennel, leash, and brush included.

We took her home, and she has been perfect ever since.  I have thouroughly enjoyed having a little companion to be by my side.  She has adapted well, and has yet to have an accident! She is very calm and just lays at my feet all day.  When I first took her on public transportation, she was very afraid of the bus, and now it is just routine.  She has also adapted well to her vest, and walking beside me in my chair, almost always aware  every time I turn or change direction and does well at not getting run over.

She has also done well with training.  She knows the following commands already:

  • sit
  • stay
  • come
  • lay down
  • off
  • kennel
  • go potty
  • up (climb on my lap)
  • down (get off my lap)
  • climb 
  • bed (move outta my way by getting on a nearby bed)
  • chair (move outta my way by laying down on my recliner)
  • no bark
  • don't lick (this one is still hard, as it is instinctive as a puppy)
When we first got her from the owner, her name was Neytiri.  We kept it a couple days, but then decided to change it, because no body had any idea what it was from, or how to say it.  It is from the main female character in the movie Avatar.

We changed her name to 'Kolo." Kolo comes from a book by Brandon Sanderson(our favorite author) called Elantris. In Elantris, "kolo" is used by the character Galladon as a softening interrogative tag. Similar to our language when we say, "Eh?" or, "Understand?"  Like, "Pizza sounds good, kolo?"  She seems to be a very understanding dog, so I think Kolo is perfect.

Kolo has changed my life for the better.  Even if she is not completely trained as a service dog yet, she has been my companion since that following Tuesday.  She sits or lays at my feet whatever I am doing.  She even has been known to lay on my bed when I am folding laundry, and lay her head on a folded pile ready to fall over. Even right now, she is laying right behind me while I am typing at my computer. She definitely is a very special dog, and I am grateful we found her. 

Life with Kolo...

After her bath

On the bus

 At therapy.  She has discovered that my chair is more comfortable than laying on the floor.

 
I put text on this before I found out she was actually six months old, not seven.

Watching movies with Laci.

Kolo and her number one fan.  My best girl friend ever!

 Saying cheese for her morning belly rub.

Listening to Samantha read to her!  Yay!  Sam now has no problem reading every day for twenty minutes.


I am grateful for this time of year.  I am glad for the opportunity to count my blessings, even knowing, we should do it all year round.  The blessings are everywhere.  It helps to point them out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that you have always been a unique inspiration to me. Through all of the trials and tribulations you have remained strong and with the amazing support of those around you, you've always stayed true to yourself.

If nothing else, I feel like I've learned a lot from you and I am thankful to know you and appreciate all of the small opportunities I've had to get to know you over the years.

Thank you for sharing yourself and your life with all of us and thank you for reminding us how important and thankful we should be for all of the blessings in our lives.

I hope you and your amazing family have a wonderful Holiday season filled with love, laughter, and warmth.

-Trisha Elam

Lisonbee said...

Cute! I am glad that I dont live there any more since I am allergic to dogs and cats. You look great, your testimony sounds strong and I am happy for you!

Unknown said...

Hey Britt, you can leave me comments! Yay!!

Thank you Trish! That means a lot. I really try. I hope the holiday season finds you well and happy. :)

Michelle Lake said...

Ahhh! Can't wait to meet this new addition to your family. Love you all.

Anonymous said...

I like to read to Kolo. I love you!