9/26/11

'Til the End of the Road

You Are My Best Friend

When the world is against us
We are never alone,
We can lean on each other
And the stress will be gone.

When darkness fills the room
And you don't know what to do,
I will light a candle
And stay by you.

You are my best friend

I will always love you
For all that you do,
You are my best friend
My dream come true.

When decisions are tough
And I don't know what to choose,
I'll call out to you
I can never lose.

When I need a shoulder to cry on
Or someone to just be there,
There are tears in your eyes
When you tell me you care.

You are my best friend.

I will always love you
'Til the end of the road,
When your burden is heavy
I'll carry the load.

I will always love you 
For all that you are,
You will always have a best friend
When you look in your heart.

Dedicated to: Francisco 'Frankie' Villa (1975-2009)
Written in 1998, Melody Clayton

As you can see, this poem was written in my adolescence.  It was written during a very difficult time in my life. My parents were going through divorce, my sister whom I was very close to, and relied on in hard times, had just gone away to college, and I was struggling with my self-confidence.  During this time, I turned to the internet for friends.   This was back in the day, when having a picture online was rare. The phrase, "friends without faces" was commonly used. I found solace here.  It was a place that I could be myself, without being judged by appearance, or physical ability.  And often, we didn't know the appearance of each other.  In the process, I created a network of friends, with disabilities.  Seems I wasn't the only one out there with the same desire.  I was actually the youngest in this group of people, my being only fifteen at the time, and they were all in their twenties. In time, I became like the little sister of the group, and we all became very close friends. We each were dealing with our own real life problems. It was here, that I met Frankie. I still remember vividly the night I found out my mom told me that she was leaving my dad.  It was to these friends that I turned to and cried with.

Time passed, friends come and gone, and passed on.  Frankie and I lost touch in 2003. Another time in my life, that was very difficult.  I cut off ties with a lot of friends.  I wish I hadn't, but that is just the kind of thing that happens in life.  In July 2008, I found him again, online.  What a blessing it was, and we just picked up where we left off. Even though there was nothing we could do for the lost time.  I am grateful for that time, as Frankie passed away in 2009, just days before my first date with Bryan. One of the last conversations that we had, was of finding happiness in this life, and love, and family.  I can't help but think maybe, he was a guardian angel for me, and helped bring my husband and I together. Possibly not, but it makes me feel better. I still think of him, as anyone who loses someone knows, different things in daily life can trigger a memory.  Yesterday, I was listening to my Ipod, folding laundry, and his favorite song came on, "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban, and tears came to my eyes. I guess that is where all this reflection comes from.

Over the last few years, I have lost a handful of friends to health problems.  I guess that is part of growing up, and part of having a lot of friends with disabilities and health issues. I am grateful for the time that I had with them.  I have learned to be grateful for the friends I have.  In the last few months, I have reconnected with some of those close friends I cut off ties to several years ago.  Better late than never.  Frankie and I never met in person, and he has since gone on, running, and jumping in heaven. he can rest assured that I am well taken care of.  Not only by my husband, but now by friends, that will be there 'til the end of the road.

1 comment:

Lisonbee said...

you are a blessing of a friend to me. I imagine Frankie really loved having you for him as well.